Official Name: Largest city: Area: Population: Order of Admission to Federation: Date of Admission to Federation:
The states of Mexico are first-level administrative territorial entities of the country of Mexico, which officially is named United Mexican States. There are 31 states and one federal entity in Mexico. Mexico City is a federal entity with a level of autonomy comparable to that of a state, but is not a state itself.
The states are further divided into municipalities.
1. Joined the federation with the name of Coahuila y Texas.
2. Joined the federation with the name of Estado de Occidente also recognized as Sonora y Sinaloa.
3. Joined the federation as República Federada de Yucatán (English: Federated Republic of Yucatán) formed by the current states of Yucatan, Campeche and Quintanà Roo. Became independent in 1841 constituting the second Republic of Yucatán and definitively rejoined in 1848.
4. States of Nuevo León, Tamaulipas and Coahuila became independent de facto in 1840 to form the República del Río Grande (English: Republic of the Rio Grande); never consolidated its independence because independent forces were defeated by the centralist forces.
5. The State of Tabasco seceded from Mexico on two occasions, the first on February 13, 1841, rejoining again on December 2, 1842. And the second time was from November 9, 1846 to December 9, 1846
6. Inc the remote Revillagigedo Islands, which are federally administered.